Latest News: Latest papers and talks/conferences will appear here; older archived news located here:
- Phd for Dave - Congratulations to Dr Dave Cowcher for successfully defending his PhD today (24 Feb 2014). Nice celebratory photo here
- PhD position available - A PhD position is available in this group. For more details click here. Title: Identifying metabolomic contributions to disease mechanisms in dwarfisms caused by extracellular matrix gene defects. Supervisors: Profs Ray Boot-Handford and Roy Goodacre Funding: Funding available for eligible UK/EU applicants.
- Happy New Year - A very Happy New Year to all! And a very happy one for us too as today our first paper of 2014 is accepted in Molecular BioSystems: full list of group publications available here
- Jo awarded top prize at SciX - Well done Jo! Jo goes one better and is awarded the joint First Prize for the SciX Student Poster Award. Presented at SciX 2013 held in Milwaukee last week. Here she is via twitter with a smile on her face and her certificate!
- Jo wins SAS Award - Well done Jo from for being awarded the SAS Student Poster Award at SciX 2013. Tweet-link here for photo of award
- Analyst Front Cover - David's review on Raman spectroscopy for 'Illuminating' disease and 'enlightening' biomedicine features as the front cover on the Analyst
- Hot article in Analyst - David's review entitled 'lluminating disease and enlightening biomedicine: Raman spectroscopy as a diagnostic tool' with Dave, Lorna and Steve is just out in Analyst and is already a 'HOT Article'! Well done all.
- Three Peaks Challenge - Dave and Nik and doing the Three Peaks Challenge this month for CRUK. A great challenge and I hope you'll support them via JustGiving.
- Topical Issue in ABC - Topical issue on Metabolomics and metabolite profiling recently published Analytical and Bioanalytical Chemistry 450(15); guest editors are Rainer Schuhmacher, Rudolf Krska, Wolfram Weckwerth, Roy Goodacre.
- Welcome Abdu - We are very pleased to welcome Abdu Subaihi who has started his PhD this week in the group on chemical imaging.
Software: We have developed a data analysis tool called PyChem. This is a new open source chemometrics package in Python. Read all about it in Bioinformatics. For those interested in Matlab our code for cluster analysis with code can be found here.
Metabolomics: This is an exciting dynamic research area that is gaining momentum and we are pleased to announce:
Society: The Metabolomics Society promotes the growth and development of the field of metabolomics globally.
Interest group: Metabolic Profiling Forum
Future Meetings: Metabolomics 2013 1-4 July, Glasgow, Scotland UK.